iPads are pretty convenient and powerful, especially when you consider the latest models. However, we understand that not everyone has the convenience to own the latest iPad. That doesn’t mean you don’t want to enjoy the latest features.
So, is there a way you can update your old iPad to iOS 16? The simple answer is no. At this point, you can’t update your iPad to the latest iOS 16 version since iPads run on iPadOS and not iOS.
That said, we will explore more about the ways you can update an old iPad in general in this article.
Ways to Update an old iPad to iOS 16
Again, we have to reiterate that you can’t update your old iPad to the latest iOS 16. If the device isn’t compatible, you can’t even update the iPad to the latest iPadOS 16.
Instead, we’d teach you two ways to update your old iPad to the available software update in your iPad Settings.
If you don’t want to connect your iPad to a computer and go through the whole hassle of updating, you can do so wirelessly and without any complaints.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Start by taking a backup of all the data on your iPad.
- Once done, follow Settings – General – Software Update.
- Under that, you should be able to find the latest available software update.
If your iPad is compatible with the latest iPadOS 16, you should find it sitting there ready to be installed. However, ensure that you have enough storage in your iPad before starting the download process.
2. Using computer
This one is for tech-savvy people who don’t mind connecting their iPad to the computer. For this, you have to connect your iPad to either a Windows PC or a Mac, whatever is available.
Once it’s connected, follow the steps:
- Start by taking a backup of your data from the iPad.
- From there, open Finder if you use a Mac or open iTunes if you use Windows PC.
- Select the connected iPad and navigate to General.
- This will sort out the backup part.
- Once that is done, open the Finder app and tap on “Check for update”.
If there is the latest software update available, you can click and download it to the iPad and that’s all. These are the only ways you can officially update your iPad to the latest iPadOS version. You can’t update your iPad to iOS 16.