Windows 10 themes help you to customize your PC as per your taste and preferences. They render different visual aspects to your computer, enhancing your experience. Themes have been an important component of Windows 10 ever since Windows XP and Windows 2000 came into existence.
In this post, we have discussed in details everything you need to know about downloading and installing themes in Windows 10.
What are Windows Themes?
Windows themes are a collection of system sounds, background images, menu colours, etc. These themes instantly enhance your Windows 10 user interface. You can change these themes as and when you like. A theme can be installed on the operating system by simply clicking on the downloaded theme file. Windows 10 already consists of downloaded themes by default. If you want, you can download some extra Microsoft themes from the official Microsoft store. We have enlisted the steps below. Users can also download customized themes from third-party sites and stores which create different personalized themes, especially for users.
How do I find Windows Themes?
Like we already mentioned, users can find Microsoft themes in the official Microsoft store. Follow the following instructions to get the themes:
- Go to Windows settings.
- Now, click on personalization.
- Now go to themes.
- Here, you will get a change theme option under the “get more themes in Microsoft store ” option.
- Click on that option and explore a vast range of already existing Microsoft themes. Click on the official store, log in to your Microsoft account and install any theme as per your choice!
Users can download themes on their device from several other sites too. Choose a site that holds a variety of theme collections, taking ideas from different films, seasons, and fiction movies.
How to download Microsoft themes for Windows 10?
If you are a Windows 10 user, you must know that this operating system comes with a handful of themes that are sure to cater to your preferences and taste. However, if you are looking for something more to add to your background, you can explore the variety of themes available in the official Microsoft store. The best part is that you can access this Microsoft store anytime, anywhere. The process of installation is also simple and can be done for free. With the simple process, you can customise your Windows 10 desktop by a mere plug-and-play endeavour.
Though there are third-party options, many of the sites aren’t useful for real. They have bugs and glitches, which don’t allow users to download themes quickly. For now, we have discussed the steps that you can follow while downloading custom desktop themes from the Microsoft store.
- Firstly, right-click on the start menu.
- Now click on settings.
- Go to personalisation from the Windows settings menu.
- On the left sidebar, click on themes.
- If you are willing to explore more things, click on the link given below” apply a theme”
- Now that you have innumerable themes from the store to choose from, select one of your choices.
- Click on the theme. A pop-up menu would appear.
- Click on download.
- Now, click the get button and wait till the theme is downloaded.
- Once it’s downloaded, click on the launch option to get the particular theme in the “apply a theme” menu.
- After adding it to the list, click on it to apply.
How to Install Custom Themes in Windows 10?
Talking about customisation, Windows 10 is quite versatile. One of the best justifications to this statement is the innumerable alternative themes that the system lets you install and apply. With the use of the right themes, you can transform the flat desktop into something extraordinary.
No matter you want to apply the already existing Microsoft themes from the official Microsoft store or add a personalised theme from any third-party application or site, we have you covered. Let’s go ahead and see how to install apply both Microsoft themes and customised themes in your Windows 10 desktop.
Applying Microsoft and Non-Microsoft Themes
Microsoft has made an innumerable number of themes available from their website. They are developed and can be applied readily.
On the other hand, non-Microsoft customised themes aren’t available from the Microsoft site. You can check out several applications and sites which store personalised collection of themes. Some even allow you to create a theme yourself!
Let’s go through the steps to apply Microsoft themes.
- How to apply Microsoft Themes to your Windows 10 desktop
- The process to download Microsoft themes have already been mentioned above. Here’s how you can apply it.
- Install the desired theme from the official Microsoft website.
- Once the theme is downloaded, double click on the downloaded “.themepack” file. This helps you to add the theme to your theme collection. Click on the theme to add it.
How to Install Non-Microsoft Themes?
If you aren’t satisfied with the built-in collection of Microsoft and want to explore more customised theme options, you can install non-Microsoft themes easily on your device.
While downloading theme files from third-party sites, remember that tinkering with system files can be dangerous and you must take precautionary measures. To prevent your system from malfunctioning, you must take every potential precaution. Experts advise people to create a restore point before downloading theme files from any other site. This is advised so that every possible potential risk gets eliminated. If something goes wrong while downloading the themes, you would be able to save your Windows installation with little effort.
For allowing third-party themes to be installed, you need software. The software used for this purpose is called UltraUXThemePatcher.
The good news for you is that now, this software has been improved and offers stable services to a plethora of users. The installer will automatically find a backup of the original system files. This helps because if anything wrong happens, uninstalling UltraUXThemePatcher will restore your system to its original form. However, you must also note that this application might cause some problems which cannot be solved even after uninstalling UltraUXThemePatcher. To prevent this from happening, users are requested to start by creating a restore point.
Follow the following instructions for more details:
- Create a backup system. This is useful in case you have downloaded a theme that doesn’t match. It might nuke your system. A restore point is better but having an image backup is even better.
- After you are done creating a backup, download UltraUXThemePatcher. The image shown below takes the example of UltraUXThemePatcher.
- 3. Now, look for customised themes on third-party sites. There are multiple such sites available.
- 4. After you have found a suitable one, copy the particular theme file into “C:/Windows/Resources/Themes.”
- 5. If the file contains themes for different builds of Windows 10, check whether you are using the right one. To know your system’s build, press Win+R and type winver into the command line.
- Now, visit personalisation menu from the control panel.
- Click on the theme you want to apply to your desktop.
How to change a Windows theme?
If you aren’t satisfied with the current theme you have applied, you can change the theme by below-mentioned steps:
- Go to Windows settings.
- Click on personalisation.
- Now go to themes.
- Under themes, locate the option called change theme.
- Here, you will be able to see every theme that you have either downloaded or already existed on your device.
- Click on the theme of your choice. It would be applied.
The best part about setting a theme is that the colours and sounds are adjustable.
- If you want to switch from a black theme to a light theme, go-to colours.
- Now, choose a colour of your choice and select light.
- The dark theme would be turned off too.
How to delete a theme?
If you no longer want to keep a theme on your device, you can delete it in simple steps. Follow the steps for more details:
- Go to settings
- Now click on personalisation
- Now visit themes.
- Right-click on the theme which you want to delete.
- Select the delete option from the drop-down menu.
- The theme gets deleted.
Do Windows Themes slow down the computer?
A lot of users have often asked this question. While a load of themes that are present in Windows isn’t too much, it depends on the resources on your desktop. If the computer’s RAM isn’t enough, you certainly shouldn’t download heavy themes. Otherwise, your system might start to run slow.
As you can see, installing customised themes on your Windows 10 device isn’t a tough task. However, you must take necessary precautions, to prevent any mishap. With that in mind, enjoy giving your desktop’s interface a new look!
Is installing themes from third-party sites safe?
Yes, it’s safe. A lot of users have done that and they seem to have faced no issues as such.
Can I download third-party themes for free?
Yes, some sites allow people to install themes for free. However, some sites charge prices for the process.